Picking an outfit can cause stress, I can confirm from personal experience. Often we have too little time to get ready and find the perfect outfit for our mood. We all want to look stunning everyday and a wrong outfit choice can make you feel insecure and uncomfortable all day. Fortunately, there are tips and tricks to make it easier and more enjoyable to get ready in the morning.
Let me share with you my personal experience on how I put together my outfits and what I take into account.
1. Go for a one piece outfit
Make sure you have some easy one piece items hanging in your closet like a jumpsuit or a cute dress. This is always a good choice whenever you are in a hurry. They don't need a lot of styling and can easily be worn for a casual as well as a chic event.
2. Don't underestimate the power of accessories
As you know by now, I like to keep my outfit pretty basic, but I always make sure that the look isn't boring because of the way pieces are combined and accessoires are used. In the end, these items are the easiest to style and combine into different looks and you also don't get tired of them as easily.
Accessoires do have an important role! We often tend to wear the same ones every day, but if you get more creative with it and make different combinations regularly, you can create more different looks.
3. Keep your outfit in balance
I personally find this to be the most powerful advice, which I apply daily. You can make an outfit so much more dynamic by balancing the outfit in the right way.
- Combine wide and tight: Many people don't like oversized because they are afraid it will make them look thicker. Oversized can be really cute, if you wear it the right way. It is important to balance the look by combining an oversized item with a more tight one. For example, try pairing a tight crop top with wide-leg jeans, or a puff-shoulder top with straight-leg pants.
- Combine different styles in one look: an outfit can easily look too sporty or too chic, just think of a classic blouse with a classic pants. Combining styles with each other will give you a more dynamic look. For example, a sporty sweat on classic pants.
- Combine something long and something short: clothes that are the same length can make the look more boring. Combine different lengths with each other. For example, a longer cardigan over a shorter skirt.
- Combine different materials in one look: this can especially look very cute if you go for a ton-sur-ton or monochrome look.
4. Pick one basic item and start creating a look with it
Choose 1 basic item in which you feel most myself (this one belongs to your capsule closet) and look for additional items that complement the look.
These basic items are often the items you will reach for the most. Make sure you have some good basic pieces in your capsule closet that you can build on:
- A pair of jeans with the perfect fitting and that fits your figure
- A great basic sweater that you can combine with different pants
- A dress that you don't get tired of quickly and that fits your height and figure
- A good black basic blazer
- Basic t-shirts, oversized or fitted, whatever you like
5. Stop trying to match perfectly
Try on different looks, you can't put together an outfit in your head, you have to see it on. Dare to combine colors or prints together. You would be surprised how many pieces in your wardrobe actually work well together when you stop trying to match perfectly.
If you would like to get personal styling advice, don't hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. Are you looking for qualitative and sustainable basics? Be sure to check out our essential collection.